Established as a congregation in 1805, First Evangelical Lutheran Church worshipped in four different locations before building the present facility at 1401 Twelfth Avenue, Altoona, PA.
April 3, 1896, ground was broken and July 18, 1896, the cornerstone was laid for the original part of the structure. On May 23, 1897, the $90,000 church edifice was dedicated. On March 2, 1902, the mortgage was burned.
Excavation for the Henry Baker Room was completed in 1911 and in 1927 a new Sunday School building was erected. March 12, 1950, the dedication of a new chancel took place and May, 1950, the Aeolian skinner organ was installed.
A $500,000 educational wing was annexed July 25, 1971. It houses the TLC school, Sunday School classrooms and offices.
Sixteen ministers have served First Lutheran since 1896, building a mission that will endure long into the future.